WelcomeSanctuary Cruises offers marine biologist-led whale watching, marine wildlife learning adventures and special event private charters on the Monterey Bay. With over thirteen years in operation and owner-led trips, we are especially suited for the serious wildlife enthusiast seeking the highest quality experience. Check out the Captain's Log for details on what's happening out there.
|Listen to Dorris describing a Blue Whale encounter on NPR's All Things Considered 7/6/12:|
- We run trips with smaller groups, usually around 25 passengers, sometimes less, sometimes more, but never more than 30 people. It's a much more pleasant experience than being jammed on a boat with 40-100+ people. Our vessel Sanctuary is U.S. Coast Certified to carry up to 39 passengers.
- Owners Captain Mike and Marine Biologist Dorris run the trips as a team to ensure you have the best possible experience with the Monterey Bay Wildlife.
- We share our vast lifetime experience in seamanship, marine science and education here on the Monterey Bay with you.
- We run longer trips which means more time to find and spend with the animals.
- We make sure everyone gets a great view of the animals or your next trip is free.
- We are family and disability friendly-Kids may even get a turn at the helm.
- No age limits and pregnant moms are welcome.
- You also get closer to the water from our sea-level viewing decks to experience close-up marine wildlife encounters. Have you ever been blown in the face by a whale spout?
- Our 72-hour cancellation policy gives you more flexibility - in case "life happens".
- We also offer personalized Ash Scattering Cermonies with warmth, a song and a mariner's prayer.
- We offer the best marine wildlife experience on The Bay. We guarantee it or your next trip is free.
- We're the boat the locals prefer.
- Recomended by The Monterey Bay National Marine Sanctuary.
Check out "Whale Attack", National Geographic's recreation of our 2004 Mother's Day cruise when orcas attacked a baby gray whale (warning, not for the faint at heart).
Sanctuary Cruises is the only sustainable charter boat on the Monterey Bay. We use 99% clean-burning biodiesel instead of dirty, smelly petroleum diesel in our brand new John Deere engines. Our biodiesel is made in Central California entirely from recycled waste vegetable oil collected from Central California restaurants. No oil is imported and no fossil fuels are burned when you go whale watching with us. It's better for the economy, the ocean creatures, the air, our engines & you. We also have the most fuel efficient boat on The Bay. We burn less fuel than any other boat. If you want to have less impact on energy consumption and the world ecology while your enjoying, living and learning, Sanctuary Cruises is the clear choice for marine wildlife tours on the Monterey Bay.